Tesla Roadster VIN 931 (blue/purple)

Hello to Everyone on the TFF forum …

We have no Tesla forum here in the UK, so I wanted to say hi to fellow European Tesla / EV owners via this forum.

Someone on this forum has asked me what colour my Tesla is, so here are the details. The car is VIN931, and the colour is non-standard. I chose it after seeing an Alfa Romeo Mito driving down the street and thought ‚wow‘. It looks amazing in the sunlight, but just plain blue/purple when its raining, which it does a lot in the UK this time of year.

The colour code is ALFA 468 B, „Blu Tornado (2010) metallic“. The vital information is the Dupont Code which is X8105.

Wow! Beautiful color. I think its even better in real life.
And some nice fotos too, I have to say.

I guess you weren’t able to order this non standard color directly from Tesla?
But when you gave the roadster to a carpainter around the corner, how did they paint it. Since the roadster is made of carbon fiber and thats not an easy material to put carpaint on.

Top!
And a warm welcome to the forum!
Cheers
Markus

Very nice colour indeed and nice to have you in our forum.

Any plans for next year ?

12.-14.06.2013 EV Event in Brighton ? I’ll be there, perhaps we 'll meet there ?

or even better

Ecodolomites 2013 ?

Video from Ecodolomites 2012 : youtube.com/watch?v=LNfG-OzpwYw

There’s a bit of a story behind my colour choice, which goes something like this :-

Nearly two years ago when I ordered my Roadster, I met with the UK sales manager and he showed me a limited range of colours swatches. I didn’t really like any of them, but I noticed on the back of each colour chip that there was a 'Dupont Code" for the exact pain mix Lotus UK use to make up the colour of any car going through there paint shop. The Tesla paint codes can all be related to existing Lotus paint codes, and the Dupont code is used by nearly every car paint shop there is.

So I simply said to the sales manager „I’ll order a car today IF I can chose my own Dupont code“, an after a quick phone call, he said Tesla / Lotus would be happy to take my order … I was charged a custom paint application fee, which I think was about 1,200 Euros (maybe). I thought this was good value, so I wrote out my deposit cheque there and then :smiley:

However, I then spent months thinking up various combinations, including Toxic green with black leather, and Very orange with Oyster Leather, Aubergine with cream leather, but eventually it came down two choices (1) Metallic crystal antimony with dark red leather, or purple-blue with tan leather.

As for the final choice, it was because one morning in 2011 I had to take my other car (an Alfa Romeo Brera) to the dealer for some work, and there was a 2009 Mito parked outside. It had stunning metallic blue colour with tan leather seats and I knew ‚that was the combination‘ I wanted. A quick bit of googling revealed the Dupont paint codes needed for Tesla UK.

The Alfa colour name is „Blu Tornado“, Alfa Paint code 468B, or Dupont X8105. Here’s a photo a Mito in that paint colour, followed by the default TESLA / UK colours:-

I look forward to meeting some other EV / Tesla owners at the Brighton Event, although that seems like a long way off right now.

Also, I looked at the Eco-Dolomites youtube clip, and the scenery looks stunning. I would really like to join in such a trip, but it would take quite a bit of planning. I might have to learn to speak various languages real quick …

Here are some of the other exotic colour choices I considered … I am sure a psychologist would have an interesting opinion if they managed to hold me still long enough !